The Irish Basking Shark Project is an amalgamation of research studies based on the island of Ireland.
Project Aims By co-ordinating our research and surveys we aim to:
- Educate the public – in particular marine users, on Basking Sharks
- Promote responsible and sustainable research, exploitation and monitoring of Basking Sharks
- Further the knowledge base of Basking Sharks through active research
- Promote the development of partnership and lobby of relevant organisations and bodies with regard to objectives
Current Objectives We have determined a number of objectives which will help us achieve our strategic aims
- Determine an accurate estimate of the current Irish Basking Shark Population
- Investigate the current population trend and it’s determining factors
- Promote the legal protection of Basking Sharks under Irish law
- Identify geographically spread critical habitats for Basking Shark suitable for designation as marine protected areas under national/ international law
If you would like to get involved or contribute to the project please don’t hesitate to contact any us through the contacts page.