The Irish Basking Shark Study Group is an amalgamation of numerous basking shark centered programs of research and education. The overarching focus of the group is to support the sustainable management of basking sharks in the Irish and Northeast Atlantic context. Please see the about us and surveys sections for further details on our current activities.
If you are in a position to support the project on either a national basis or on a locally focused level, please do not hesitate to contact us at
Current Projects and Funders for 2013
Shark Camp 2013 - Supported by the Inishowen Development Partnership, Malin Head Community Association, Queens University Belfast and the Inishowen Basking Shark Study Group.
Shark Spotting - Supported by the Lough’s Agency, Queens University Belfast, a private donor and the Inishowen Basking Shark Study Group.
Genetic Slime Sampling- Supported by the Irish Basking Shark Study Group
All Ireland Visual Tagging project– Supported by the IWDG, Shannon Dolphins and Wildlife Foundation and the Inishowen Basking Shark Study Group
Previous Projects and Funders .
- 2012 Timed Depth Recorder Project – Funded by the Inishowen Basking Shark Study Group, Inishowen development Partnership and Queens University Belfast.
- 2012 Monster Munch Community Awareness Program – Funded by the Inishowen Development Partnership (Leader) and the Inishowen basking shark study Group.
- 2011 Depth charge project – Funded by the Inishowen Development Partnership (Leader) and the Inishowen basking shark study Group.
- 2011 Photo ID – Part funded by Save our Sea’s Foundation
- 2010 Shark slime – Funded by the Heritage Council and Shannon Dolphin and Wildlife Foundation
- 2009 Tagging and tracking – Funded by the Heritage Council, Shannon Dolphin and Wildlife Foundation, Galway Mayo Institute of Technology and Crossing the line productions.
With thanks to the following for assistance with problem solving
- Crana Engineering
- Fahan Marina – Figary Water Sports
- Danny McFadden – North West Electronics
- John O’Raw – Letterkenny IT
- Garyat Redbay Boats
- Lough Swilly RNLI station Crew
- Paul Bryson – www.paulbrysonmarine.com
- Greencastle Maritime Museum
- BIM, National Fisheries College, Greencastle
- Malin Head Fishermans Coop
- Malin Head Community Assoc.