© Irish Basking Shark Group

SHARK CAMP

2013 | Completed Project

OVERVIEW

The “Shark Camp” was a two week "internship" program aimed at local teens. Shark Camp aimed to educate and inspire the next generation of marine scientists by teaching young people from Inishowen about their coastal resources. 

 

The project aimed to build new skills, confidence and  promote creativity. Interns learned about marine science, carried out citizen science at their local beach and on the water, and produced a video message for their local community about their marine resource.

KEY ELEMENTS OF THE PROGRAMME

  • An introduction to marine biology
  • Safety at sea

  • Planning and undertaking a science experiments at sea

  • Boating and surveying for sharks

  • Understanding the importance of natural resources

  • Video creation, editing and production

  • Working in a team and building confidence in self/community led initiatives

FUNDING

Participation was free for successful applicants.

 

The Inishowen Basking Shark Study Group  secured 75% funding from the Inishowen Development Partnership and match funded the remaining 25% of the project with personal donations and local fundraising.

THE TRAINEES

10 young people from Inishowen aged 12 - 15 took part in the Shark Camp held in the Malin Head Community Centre. The trainees applied for the programme via an expression of interest form before being invited to attend. 

OUTCOMES

The young people taking part in the programme produced a blog sharing their experiences (http://inishowenmarineteam.blogspot.com) and a video for their local community demonstrating the importance of protecting the marine resource. 

PROJECT TEAM

Emmett Johnston | Project coordinator

Rosemary McCloskey | Project coordinator

Want to get involved?

If you have questions or would like to contribute to any of our projects, please contact us here.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram

© 2019 Irish Basking Shark Group

All photographs featured on this website are owned/presented with permission by the Irish Basking Shark Group.
 

Site designed by Abby McInturf